Located in Williamsburg, the Old Dutch Mustard Building, designed by Theobald Engelhardt and built in 1908, it originally functioned as a rag and paper warehouse, but from 1930-1980 was occupied by the Old Dutch Mustard Co. The reinforced concrete frame with brick infill building is architecturally significant as an excellent representation of the transition between the use of brick and masonry to reinforced concrete.
In 2006, the building was demolished and from the comments of the developer it was clear that it was directly related to the rezoning. Steiner Equities principal Douglas C. Steiner said, "Although I was first attracted to the Old Dutch Mustard building by its architecture, under the residential zoning code particular to the site and the current building code, it behooved us to build from the ground up."
The Greenpoint Terminal Market
In early May, months after the city rezoned the neighborhood, a large portion of Greenpoint Terminal Market - a historic complex of 16 buildings for which the Municipal Art Society had been advocating city landmark protection and preservation for reuse — was destroyed by fire. The fire was deemed “suspicious” by the New York City Fire Department. Before burning down, the complex was one of the most fascinating pieces of architecture along the waterfront, a frequent location for film and photography shoots.
The American Manufacturing Company complex, now commonly known as the Greenpoint Terminal Market, was a panorama of interlocking buildings with an extraordinarily intricate history of construction. The American Manufacturing Company was established in Brooklyn around 1890 as a manufacturer of rope and bagging. In these buildings, workers turned hemp, jute and other fibers – some of which came from the Philippines and India – into miles of rope and twine, as well as bags. At that time, rope was used in virtually all aspects of shipping and was of critical importance to the economy. The business expanded over a 30-year period from a portion of a single block to an extensive series of buildings covering six blocks, linked by skybridges. By World War II, however, the company had left the facility and the buildings were converted for use as storage.
Right: Giles Ashford